Friday, February 25, 2022

Weathering the Storms

Began the morning with breakfast and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. "Mickey's Handy Helpers" break down right before they're supposed to make a huge dinner for the Disney crew. Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Pluto go below the Clubhouse to the Handy Helper Machine to find out what's making the squeak inside it.

It poured cats, dogs, and chickens as I quickly rounded up my lunch and changed. There was no way I could ride to work on the bike. Called Uber and waited for them on the porch. I took me a while to find someone, but I still managed to get to work just in time.

Work was on-and-off busy, mainly because we continue to be short on help. They just didn't have anyone else they could assign to the morning shift. I did manage to shelve candy between customers.

I was not happy with my schedule at all. On one hand, relatively short shifts, all cashiering...but I don't get another day off until next Saturday! My last day off was Thursday. I know, a lot of people are out of work and I shouldn't complain, but it's a lot. How the heck am I going to organize my new rooms or get my laundry done or start looking for a job? 

Thankfully, by the time I got out of work at 4, the weather had greatly improved. The rain vanished in the late morning; the sun came out around 2-3PM. I still had a hard time finding an Uber at the start of rush hour. And I was supposed to be meeting the ladies at my apartment so we could see what we could take over! It took me 10 minutes to find a ride, and another 20 for them to arrive.

They came in as I tried to start packing more items. There are just some things I'm not going to be able to take with me. Books and DVDs and dolls, yes...kitchen things, no. One woman gave the rest of us a number for a moving company she knew...but for some reason, it kept connecting us to a Mediterranean restaurant. We must have called those people six or seven times. I felt sorry for them. They probably didn't know what was going on. She did finally get through to the guy and convinced him to help move my furniture. 

And I'm worried. I love my desk, but I'm not sure it'll fit. The opening to that attic is so narrow. I didn't think I had so much stuff. I've gotten rid of a lot of over the past two or three years, and actually just handed more over to the ladies to be donated. I was hoping I could get all my holiday stuff with me, but the Christmas stuff might have to go into storage. There's also some of the shelves may be too tall for the room. The apartment at Manor also had a low ceiling, but that had a very high center section. Not only is the front room big, but not that big, but the center section isn't quite as high.

And they say not to feel bad, but I can't help it. This is so unorganized! I thought I was an organized person, but I've been panicking for weeks now. I've been trying to get everything done, too busy and scared to even sit down and write a list. When I moved to Hilcrest in July 2020, I had two and a half months to do it, thanks to that busted left elbw. Dad recruited half the family to get my things to Oaklyn in 2006, and I had almost three months to get ready. 

The ladies headed out after an hour to find boxes and have dinner. Switched on Match Game '77 to cheer myself up while I figured out what to do next and had a quick egg dinner. Two gorgeous female contestants named Tom and Chris turned many heads in an episode, including Richard's and Dick Martin's. Brett's more interested in handsome soap star Tom Hallick on her left. 

They returned shortly after I'd changed and cleaned up from dinner. They boxed up kitchen supplies and brought in anything that I wanted to keep in the bedroom. Anything that went into storage would go into the living room/kitchen. There's still a lot of loose items in bags they had me put in boxes to be moved tomorrow. (I did convince them to let me keep the spring and summer decorations out. I don't have as many of them as I do fall and winter decorations anyway.) 

And...they sat me down and talked to me about trusting them and being hard on myself. I've had too many people in my past say they'll help me, then get fed up with me, decide they can't handle me, or just have other things to do and walk out. All of them said they read my blogs, liked my writing, and thought I was very smart and talented. That's so sweet of them. 

Finished the night packing what I could, and repacking a box of media history books that fell out when I moved them. One of the women brought sturdier boxes than what I dredged up from Dollar General, anyway. When I finally broke to (belatedly) chat with Lauren, I watched the Match Game PM episode I missed earlier. Brett was even happier to be between TV drama hunks Robert Walden and Bart Braverman. Bill Daily was a lot more nervous about having to answer "Opening __" on the Head-to-Head for $20,000.

Been trying to make my way through TV show episodes featuring one or more Match Game panelists. Richard Dawson turned up on a chilling 1964 episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour from its second season, "Anyone for Murder?" A psychiatrist (Barry Nelson) puts an ad in his local paper claiming he knows how to commit murder. What he really wants is to get his cheating wife (Patricia Breslin) and her young lover (Dawson) out of the way. He convinces a colleague to take her out...before the lover comes to him asking to get rid of the wife, too. Turns out this cold-as-ice twosome are more in love than they believed...and it's the lover who may end up taking the fall. 

No comments: