Thursday, July 21, 2022

The Heat Is On

Began a steamy hot morning with a quick breakfast. It was too hot for bike riding, and will be all weekend. I called Uber. They didn't arrive until nearly 15 minutes after I called them, but took less than five minutes to get me there. I was only a minute or two late getting in. 

Spent most of the day sweeping and gathering carts. The head bagger ended up cashiering most of the day. I don't care how hot it is. I'd rather deal with searing heat and humidity than customers. It was sunny and breezy for most of the afternoon, until clouds started rolling in around 1:30-2. By that point, they pulled me to take the head bagger's place for some reason. They must have thought I was too hot. I got stuck in a register for an hour, but at least it went by fast. My relief was just barely on time.

Thankfully, considering how hard it was to find a ride this morning, my ride home arrived within two minutes. Good thing, too. Those heavy clouds I saw earlier were now on top of us. It rained briefly as I went outside to catch my ride, but nothing really heavy.

Went straight into Tattletales and a snack when I got home. We had a rare three-way tie on this episode. Ron and Kaye Masak are still married to this day, Bobby Troupe and Julie London were married until his death in 1999, and Elaine Joyce and Bobby Van were married until he died of a brain tumor in 1981. All three couples knew each other so well, they all won. 

Press Your Luck wasn't quite that diplomatic. The guy was the only one who got hit by Whammies in the first round. The champ walked out of the second round with money by the skin of her teeth after he Whammied and couldn't make enough back.

Worked on writing for a while after the show. Everyone wonders if their encounter with the Lion and the Unicorn was a dream, until they see Brett holding the tray for the plum cake. Brett's wondering what they're going to do next. Sir Dawson was supposed to lead them through the last square, but he's gone...and then, they hear a fanfare, and horses....

Broke for dinner at 6:30. Watched Match Game '77 while I ate. Comedian David Landsberg and lovely Lee Merriweather toss out interesting answers to what kind of exercise a husband who drinks so much gets. The others help with "__ Armstrong" in the Audience Match, while Gene wonders how irresistible he is and Richard has to figure out "Dollar __" in the Head-to-Head.

Had dessert during Let's Make a Deal. Thankfully, most of the folks were pretty good about avoiding Zonks today. Raggedy Ann and Andy did the smart thing and chose money over going further guessing prices for a car. A cute college student dressed as Minnie Pearl initially won a clock and a stereo, but was happy to trade it in for money to further her education. Ann and Andy got the Big Deal of the Day - gorgeous bedroom furniture. 

Finished off the night with Song of the Islands. I go further into this tropical-set vehicle for Betty Grable and Victor Mature at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 

No comments: