Tuesday, July 19, 2022

When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Lemon Bars

Started off the morning with breakfast and Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo on Tubi. You can't get much more late 70's than "The Neon Phantom of the Roller Disco." Mystery Inc is visiting LA when an electricity-sucking being cuts off power at the Hollywood Bowl. The trail leads the kids to a roller disco that wants to expand, but now can't, due to the loss of power at their main venue. While Velma, Fred, and Daphne try to figure out what the tar footprints and electrical equipment around means, Shaggy and the dogs dodge the glowing light being. 

Went straight into Match Game '75 after Scooby ended. In the first episode, the contestant was so excited, her jumping around put a crack in the floor! Richard was more nervous about helping her with "Mouse __" in the Head-to-Head.

In the second, Fannie Flagg tried flirting with a handsome contestant, only to discover he really wasn't interested. Brett kept trying even after he said "no," though, and she and Charles made jokes even when they matched the guy. The others tried to help him figure out "Banjo __" in the Audience Match.

Called Mom while the show was on. She sent me a text saying she got my package and was delighted with the card and with having Downton Abbey back. She seems to have mixed feelings on moving back down to Virginia with my brother. They're going to have four people (one a newborn) and two large dogs in a small apartment, and even with my brother's job building boats for the Navy, they still don't have the money for a house. I don't think she's happy with having to drive down there, either. She doesn't handle traffic well.

On the other hand, I think it'll be good for her. She gets along well with Keefe and his wife Julia, and she won't be alone anymore. Plus, as I've mentioned, a lot of her family still lives down there. I did decide I'd be better off not going to his baby shower. It doesn't sound like my sisters are going, either. It's just too much to handle at this time of year. I haven't booked a hotel room in 20 years. It's a lot easier to organize train trips when you're just staying at your best friend's house. 

And no, Rose still hasn't spoken to Mom or me. I've had it up to here with her immature and silly behavior. She's not only hurting herself by cutting us off, she's hurting her family as well. It's not fair that we can't see Finley and Khai - not to them, not to us, and not to Rose, either. She's got to learn that she can't always have control over everything and everybody. Cutting yourself off from people who could help you makes things worse, not better. She's bossed me around practically since she was born. I've had enough of it, thank you. I'm going to do things my way and live my life the way I want to, and if she doesn't like that, I don't care anymore. I still love her as a sister, but I don't love the way she's treating her family.

Soon as I got off with Mom, I called Uber for a ride to Marlton. I wanted to check out that American Girl resale shop on their Main Street. Surprisingly, considering it was past 1 on a killer hot day, I got a driver in under two minutes. The man had to dodge quite a bit of traffic on the Expressway, going past rows upon rows of franchise hotels, chain restaurants, car dealerships, and medical offices.

The Cottage Resale Shoppe turned out to be on Marlton's Main Street, a charming thoroughfare that made a delightfully lovely contrast to the endless big box shopping centers surrounding it. I went up to the entrance...but it wouldn't open. Turns out the shop is only open on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.

Oh well. There were lots of other things to see on Main Street. I strolled past beautiful old homes and offices. Some dated as far back as the 1830's, according to the plaques on the sidewalks in front of them. Admired a sweet little white gazebo in a sliver of a park that seemed to be sized just for me. Even did a little tap dance in it, like my sisters and I used to do in Cape May's larger Rotary Gazebo.

Crossed the street to have lunch at Sal's Pizzaworks, a hole-in-wall nestled in a tiny shopping center between older homes. Not only were their thin, crispy slices tasty, they were cheap, too. Two slices of cheese and mushroom pizza and a 12-ounce Ginger Lemon Diet Coke from their Coke Freestyle machine cost me $4.27. Two younger friend pairs were enjoying sandwiches when I came in. I left just as a mother and her children came to order pizza.

Made my way down to the very end of Main Street. I saw what looked like a thrift shop from the Uber car as it headed down the road. Among Other Things was an antique/vintage store not far removed from a slightly smaller Barrington Antique Center, settled in what I suspect was a former garage. One room held nothing but holiday decorations from the 30's through the 90's. Another was nothing but genuine vintage clothing. I even saw a real ruffly 50's prom gown and two big net crinolines, the type that Mom and Linda Young said were itchy when they were kids. 

I made my best find in a room that was wall-to-wall vintage toys, children's furniture, and boxes of kids' books. Mom picked up Alpha Bakery as a promo from Gold Medal Flour in the late 90's. It's a simple baking book for children with recipes corresponding to each letter of the alphabet, from Apple Crisp to Zebra (chocolate and vanilla striped) Cookies. Mom complained it was too simple, and the "Delicious Drumsticks" baked chicken recipe couldn't hold a candle to Merlin's. I do remember some of the recipes coming out well, especially the Chocolate Chip and Honey Bee Cookies. 

Other finds at Among Other Things included three homemade masks to replace the now-worn ones Mom made me over two years ago and three records from the same room as Alpha Bakery

Andre Previn and David Rose & His Orchestra - Like Young

The George Shearing Quintet - The Best of George Shearing

The Golden Treasury of Fairy Tales

The sweet older lady who ran the store (and her tiny fluffy dog) said she always had 20 % off all items sales. Between that and everything I picked being a dollar each, I spent $5.97 on the whole lot. 

Among Other Things was the last building before Main Street turned onto Highway 73. Checking Google Maps there revealed that, not only was The Promenade at Sagemore, the largest shopping center in the area, within walking distance, but there were other stores in between. I thought I'd give it a go. 

Huddled next to Starbucks across the street from Among Other Things was Carlo's Bakery. It was a gleaming white and chrome storefront with beautiful little cakes and massive cupcakes and cookies. I opted to try something I never heard of before. A "lobster tail" turned out to be a crispy pulled pastry filled with vanilla custard. It wasn't bad, if a little too crispy and sweet for someone who generally prefers her baked goods on the chewy side.

Was in and out of Chico's at the next shopping center before discovering they had a Trader Joe's. Picked up more of that salt-free peanut butter, along with spicy candied ginger and cranberry-oatmeal-white chocolate cookies. The lady at the counter was extremely pleasant and seemed to enjoy hearing about my walk.

The next leg of my journey took a bit longer. At least I didn't have to cross the busy highway! By this point, it was past 3:30. Rush hour traffic sped by me as I hiked past TGIFriday's, a local gas station, and an empty elementary school playing field. Walgreens was perched on the edge of series of Virtua Health buildings. I went in quickly for a cold Propel Water.

Turns out Promenade at Sagemore was right across from Virtua. The sprawling brick and glass complex featured mostly high-end shops you'd normally see at an indoor mall. I checked out Ann Taylor and the Loft; was surprised to note that their Talbots was far larger and had a more extensive selection of plus sizes than most of their stores They were still all beyond my budget, though, and I walked out with nothing. 

The very modern, steel and glass L.L Bean was situated at the end of the mall. This store was even bigger, with a huge selection of everything from camping and outdoor gear to luggage to clothes. Their clothes turned out to be too expensive as well, but I had more luck with the luggage and camping gear. Bought a small travel supplies holder for my suitcase, tiny LCD lights to tie on the zipper pulls of my new purse, and a glow stick for working in the dark. 

I didn't get out until past 5. With rush hour in full swing, it took me 20 minutes to get a ride home. No trouble after that, though. We didn't really hit any terrible traffic, and the driver got me back in less than a half-hour. 

Went straight upstairs and into dinner and Match Game '77 when I got home. While the others celebrated Thanksgiving Eve, Orson Bean discusses his role as Bilbo Baggins in the original animated version of The Hobbit. (Which I really need to review one of these days.) 

Finished the night online with Honolulu at Amazon Prime. I go further into this tropical Prince and the Pauper for Robert Young and Eleanor Powell at my Musical Dreams Movie Reviews blog. 

No comments: